Monday, June 11, 2012

Custom $0 GameCube Case

     Lately, I've been getting into GameCube homebrew software. I'm stoked about running emulators and video players on my GC. The problem is, I have little money to spend on my 'Cube, so I have to find the most affordable methods of doing things. I needed to be able to run full-size DVD-R's, which meant I had to buy an expensive (to me) custom case, or run it with the case off. The only problem with having the case off is that all the internals are then exposed and liable to be broken. This just would not do.

     A friend of mine is a happy customer of Nuts.com. Their products are really good, and their boxes are sooo cool. One day, I was looking at a small Nuts.com box, and I realized that it was a near-perfect fit for my GC, so I grabbed some tape, a knife, and some scissors and got to work. I'd say no more than thirty minutes went by, and I had a decent looking and quite functional case. As of right now, there is a metal clip closing the electrical connection on the lid sensor, but that will soon be replaced with some sort of switch. The tubular thing sticking out of the top functions as the power switch. I've tried Googling "cardboard GameCube case", etc., but to no avail, so I think I may have created the internet's first cardboard GameCube case mod. Well, I'm sure there have probably been others out there, but this is the only one that I know of. I hope this gives any financially challenged modders out there some ideas.














-Joshua Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment